1812 / 13 Preparandia Street / Historical monumentbookmark
The Institution was founded at the order of emperor Francis I and opened its gates on November 3rd, 1812. It is the oldest Romanian pedagogical school in the region.
The Preparandia was the first Romanian Pedagogical School in the whole Romanian range, and also among the first pedagogical schools in Europe, considering that the first normal school was founded in 1810 in Strasbourg. Its importance was major because of the lack of Romanian-language schools in Transylvania, the Romanian people being subject to the influence of Hungarian and Serbian languages.
Around this educational institution, a group of Romanian intellectuals were focused, because the teachers were genuine promoters of the Romanian spirit. At first, 78 students were enrolled, and classes were held by 4 teachers: Dimitrie Țichindeal, which was also the first principal of the school, Iosif Iorgovici, professor of mathematics, physics and philosophy, Constantin Diaconovici Loga, a teacher of grammar and epistolography, and Ioan Mihuț, professor of pedagogy and history. Beside the teachers, priest were trained here until 1822, when the Theological Institute of Arad was founded.
The building in which courses were held was the property of Sava Arsici, the mayor of Arad. After a few years, upon witnessing the impressive results obtained by students at the exams, he decides to donate the entire building to Dimitrie Țichindeal. In 1815, D. Țichindeal was removed from his position of Principal, because he, along with Moise Nicoară, claimed the appointment of a Romanian bishop instead of a Serbian one, in Arad. In 1876, the Pedagogical Institute and Theological Institute unite under the same name: Romanian Theological-Pedagogical Institute of Arad. Because of the rich history that marks this building, in 2008, the municipality of Arad has acquired the building, planning to rehabilitate it, so that it could accommodate a museum dedicated to the first Romanian Pedagogical School.
The building located on Preparandiei Street no. 13 - originally called the “Deer’s Head building” - dates, most likely, from the end of the 17th century. The setting of the window frame, with the additions of “Empire” style, are characteristical of an original bourgeois house.
The first principal of Preparandia was Dimitrie Ţichindeal, and over the decades the school had teachers amongst the most prominent Romanian intellectuals: Alexandru Gavra, Vincențiu Babeş, Constantin Diaconovici Loga, Atanasie Şandor, Teodor Ciontea, Petre Pipoș.
„Ioan Slavici” Classical Theatre is located at the main entrance of Revolution Boulevard. Besides the theatrical seasons of the local theatre, many cultural and artistic events take place here.
The building of "Moise Nicoară” National College of Arad hosts the college with the same name, one of the leading schools in the city, bearing a tradition of over 130 years.
The imposing building located on Lucian Blaga street, at the beginning of the 20th century, it hosted the Normal School for Girls. The building was completed in 1909, in Secession style.