1909 / 9 Lucian Blaga Street / istorical monumentbookmark
The imposing building located on Lucian Blaga street is currently part of "Dimitrie Țichindeal" Pedagogical High School and was declared a historical monument. Initially, at the beginning of the 20th century, it hosted the Normal School for Girls. The building was completed in 1909, in Secession style.
“Dimitrie Țichindeal” Pedagogical High School celebrated two centuries of existence in 2012. Established in November 15, 1812, “Preparandia”, as it was known at the time, was the first institution devoted to pedagogical education in the entire Romanian area and among the top in Europe (the first normal school was established in 1810 at Strasbourg).
The Pedagogical School’s history proves that this wasn’t a regional or local school, but a national school par excellence. Over its two centuries of existence, it has proven to be one of the most prestigious institutions nurturing culture in the Western parts of Romania.
The foundation of “Preparandia” was placed by Dimitrie Ţichindeal himself, priest and teacher, one of the great spirits of Transylvanian “enlightenment”, and also the first principal of the school.
The building was completed in 1909, in Secessionist style. The ground floor of the school comprises a string of arches in the centre with a monumental vaulted entry, supported by four columns of gothic inspiration on both sides, with capitals in the form of rose bouquets.
The façade of the building is distinguished by frieze bas-reliefs with the school theme, two depicting dancing girls and one representing a young woman giving a book to a child, another one, in which a young girl teaches a child to play the harp. In both sides of the building, there are four towers of medieval inspiration. The space between windows is decorated with faience, a typical Secession feature.
There is a plaque above the arch, recalling the old carpentry-workshop in the school courtyard, where the realist painter, Mihály Munkácsy, worked as an apprentice carpenter.
Mihály Munkácsy (1844–1900), his real name Michael von Lieb, was born in the town of Munkacs, on the present territory of Ukraine. M. Munkácsy studied in Budapest and became one of the most famous painters in Hungary.
„Ioan Slavici” Classical Theatre is located at the main entrance of Revolution Boulevard. Besides the theatrical seasons of the local theatre, many cultural and artistic events take place here.
The building of "Moise Nicoară” National College of Arad hosts the college with the same name, one of the leading schools in the city, bearing a tradition of over 130 years.
The Institution was founded at the order of emperor Francis I and opened its gates on November 3rd, 1812. It is the oldest Romanian pedagogical school in the region.