1869 – 1873 / 1 Margareta Bibici Square / Historical monumentbookmark
The building of “Moise Nicoară” National College of Arad hosts the college with the same name, a leading highschool in the city, with over 130 years of tradition. Many graduates of this college have become notable personalities.
The history of “Moise Nicoară” National College of Arad commenced in 1707, when the Bavarian monk Camil Nöffrich created the first elementary school (the “beginners’ school”) in a building of the city. Then, over time, as the number of students grew, the need for a new school building imposed itself. At first by using funds from “Margareta Bibici” Foundation and subsequently, a substantial contribution from the state, the current school was built during 1869-1873.
The construction works were led by architect Lajos Jiraszek, after the plans of architect Josef Diecher from Budapesta. On the 5th of October 1919, the premises of the old gymnasium became the “Moise Nicoară” High school, the first Romanian high school for boys in Arad.
Many of those who studied here went on to become important personalities of Romanian culture: university professors, doctors in science, literates, doctors, engineers, jurists, economists, some even members of the Romanian Academy.
In 1955, the building was included in the official list of architectural monuments. Since 2000–2001, the institution has been called The “Moise Nicoară” National College, which has until today followed through its tradition of leading school in Arad, thanks to the extraordinary academic results obtained by its students.
Given the importance of this educational institution, the City Hall of Arad initiated a project for accessing European funds, through the Regional Operational Programme, with the purpose of renovating the building. The restorers have kept the original architectural elements, while also introducing modern elements in the structure and new endowments of the building.
The College was built in Renascentist style. The entrance, the main stairway and the festive hall are decorated with predominantly Baroque elements.
In the academic year of 1850–1851, the gymnasium functioned whithin a seven-grade system; among 204 students, 55 were Romanian. Initially, the subjects were taught in Latin, then in German, subsequently the language shifted to Hungarian.
A number of remarkable graduates of the College were: Moise Nicoară, Ioan Slavici, Vasile Goldiș, Ioan Suciu, Emil Monţia, Atanasie Marienescu, Tiberiu Popoviciu, Caius Iacob, Valeriu Novacu, Mircea Stănescu.