1827-1834 / 10 Tribunu Dobra Street / Historical monumentbookmark
The Neologist Synagogue of Arad is a jewish sanctuary located on no. 10 Tribune Dobra Street. It was built between 1827-1834, in Greek-Tuscan style, with the guidance of architect Heim Domokos. The Neolog Synagogue (mosaic rite) of Arad was included on the list of Arad’s historical monuments in 2004.
The emergence of the Jewish community in the city of Arad occurred in the 18th century. At Lipova, such a community existed in the 17th century already. In parallel, other communities were established in Simand, Curtici, Nădlac. The first Jew who legally settled in Arad was Isac Elias, a merchant who later became the founder of the Jewish community established in 1742. Historical documents mention that a woman called Nahuma donated land for the construction of a synagogue. The first wooden synagogue is finished in 1742.
In the year of 1828 the community counted 812 parishioners, thus the issue of a new synagogue arrived. The initiative belonged to judge Mose Hirshl and to rabine A. Corin. On the 13th of June 1828, the cornerstone was laid after many arguments with the city’s leadership. The final solution belongs to Mose Hirschl who requests a meeting with King Franz of Vienna. The synagogue was finished in 1834.
The building, designed by architect Domokos Heim from Arad, features Classical characteristics in its exterior. Built in 1834, the Synagogue was constructed in an unusual, triangular-shaped, 3-story building. Access to the synagogue is gained from a small, open courtyard located in center of the building. A large, arched window dominates the wall on the southern side of the synagogue, flooding the 3-level interior with daylight and calling attention to other neo-classical details, such as the Corinthian capitals on the columns framing the Aron-Kodesh and, more conspicuously, the vaults and dome above.
A rosette featuring Mogen David, or the Star of David, is painted at the top of the dome, surrounded by twelve painted “windows” with scenes that have since faded, in blue, suggesting openings to the sky above. The vaults, dome and pillars are ornately trimmed with blue and gold floral designs and, sporadically, decayed and missing plaster has exposed the underlying structures. Wooden benches for congregants are found on both the main and second floor gallery.
The Romanian Evangelical Lutheran Church came into being at the end of the Great War (1914-1918), its founders being the evangelical lutheran community from the regions of Transylvania and Banat.
The Church of the Minorites Order, located in the centre of Arad, was built in 1902-1903 on the former site of a Baroque church, according to a project developed by architect Emil Tabacovits.
The oldest building in Arad, The Serbian Church was built between 1699-1702, its cost covered by Iovan Popovici Tekelija. The building was restored by architect Miloș Cristea, during 2002-2008.