1698-1702 / 1 Serbian Square / Historical monumentbookmark
The oldest building in Arad, The Serbian Church was built between 1699-1702, its cost covered by Iovan Popovici Tekelija. The church dedicated to the holy apostles Peter and Paul received its current appearance between 1790-1822.
After the city’s conquest by the imperial armies commanded by Prince Eugene of Savoy, serbian border guards were settled in. The Serbian colonization took place as a result of illyrian privileges granted by Emperor Leopold I to orthodox Serbs. The building of the Church was funded by captain Iovan Popovici Techelia. The church dedicated to Saints Apostles Peter and Paul received its current appearance between the years 1790-1822, its size being enlarged by Sava Tekelija, the founder’s grandson.
Built in 1698-1702, bearing the characteristics of early Baroque, manufacturers used different materials from the ruins of local medieval edifices, this aspect can be seen especially on the pickled portion of the foundation.
Between the years 1790-1822, substantial changes to the church have been made, including an increase length and the addition of a new shrine. The height of the tower was lifted by 4m by qualified workers from Ukraine. The tower is shaped with bronze plates and finished by a cross mounted on a gilded globe. The pilasters with capitals on top of the volute, as well as the ornamentation of the tower outline the baroque features of the whole building’s appearance.
After the disestablishment of the neighbouring cemetery, several tombstones were built in the walls of the Church, bearing Baroque features. The interior painting of the Church was restored during 1902-1903 by Stevan Alexić, grandson of Nikola Alexić. Recent restoration took place during 2002-2008. Among the preserved tombstones, there is that of Sava Arsić, former Mayor of Arad.
Inside the church, six frescoes (four with biblical scenes, and the other two with historical scenes), located on the vault, were created around the year of 1845 by painter Nicolae Alexici, who later on, in 1863, painted the whole iconostasis. The sculptures of the iconostatis belong to sculptor Mihai Ianici. A painting by Stefan Tenețchi, depicting the Holy Mother of Christ, is placed inside the sanctuary.
Within the church, the oldest flags of the guilds of Arad were preserved to this day.
In the vicinity of the Church, in the early 20th century, the Serbian Palace building, the seat of Serbian Parish of Arad, designed by architect Emil Tabakovits in Secession style, was established.
The renowned local architect Miloș Cristea (1931-2003) coordinated the reparation and restoration works of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Arad. Miloș Cristea has dedicated his whole activity to the protection of the cultural, historical and architectural heritage of Arad, constantly promoting the conservation of the multicultural values which give our city a unique personality.
The Romanian Evangelical Lutheran Church came into being at the end of the Great War (1914-1918), its founders being the evangelical lutheran community from the regions of Transylvania and Banat.
The Church of the Minorites Order, located in the centre of Arad, was built in 1902-1903 on the former site of a Baroque church, according to a project developed by architect Emil Tabacovits.
The "Birth of Saint John the Baptist" Orthodox Cathedral is a monument of baroque architecture. The edifice was built between 1862-1865 under the direction of a local architect Anton Ziegler.