1872 / 27 Bulevard General Ion Dragalina / Historical monumentbookmark
The old Casino building was built around 1872 and shortly became a fashionable spot in Arad, preferred by those in seek of luxury and relaxation. Over the years, within this building, a casino, an exhibition hall and an event hall were opened.
From the beginning, the building had a beautiful summer garden, which the clients preferred in the warmer periods of the year. During winter, the front-square of the Casino was used as a skating rink. This was a special place in Arad, beloved by the youth of those times.
The building was opened before the completion of the current dam between the River Mureș and the city. Hence, in the Casino’s summer garden, the panorama of the river-side was truly impressive. The Casino attracted clients from the ranks of the aristocracy and intelligentsia of Arad, including politicians such as Vasile Goldiș, Ștefan Cicio-Pop, Ioan Suciu, Ioan Slavici, Mayor Salacz Gyula.
The building bears the marks of eclectic architecture. Raised in a quadratic shape, the Casino combines the traces of neo-Baroque and those of neo-Classicism. On all four fronts, ifluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals and a rich stucco ornamentation is remarked.
During the time when various exhibitions were held inside the Casino, in 1890, Timișoreana Beer received the distinction of bronze in an agro-industrial exhibition. One year later, in the same place, the same Beer received the silver medal of distinction.
The Old Casino building is located near the current Children’s Park of Arad. Initially, this park was named The Baross Park, and a beautiful public fountain with rich ornate hardware was placed here. This artistic monument, at that time, was a landmark for all those who wanted to visit the river and the parks from the Casino up to the Palace of Justice (The Baross and Salacz Park).
Neumann Palace, built in the past as a private residence with a special architecture, accommodates today commercial spaces and spaces of „Vasile Goldiș” Western University of Arad.
This outstanding building in the heart of Arad belonged to baron Bohuș. The Palace is the work of local architect Ludovic Szántay and was inaugurated in 1913.
Hermann Palace, one of the most outstanding palaces on Arad's main boulevard, was built in the early 1880s by a wealthy merchant, Gyula Hermann, and his wife.